Thursday, June 2, 2011

Prayer

I used to pray, every day. And light a candle. Lately, because of a technological glitch, I'd been reminded to pray every morning. Now that I'm no longer reminded, it feels personal again. I remind myself.

To me, praying in Hebrew always connects me to my family, my ancestors. It's the language I've always associated with spirituality. It feels like a direct connection between me and God.

Here are some notes on Hebrew prayer:
Devotion from the heart, called kavanat ha lev, is considered essential to true prayer. Kavanah implies concentration, worship, and single-mindedness. “Prayer without kavanah is like a body without a soul,” meaning that the attitude of “service of the heart” (avodah sheba-lev) is required when praying.

When you sleep, your soul leaves your body, and it is cleansed. When we wake up, we say, why thank you.


I used to pray every day. I'd like to get in touch, again. This blog is a strange outlet for a creative prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment